Lärosäten Syd, the network of Universities in South Sweden, have a joint office in Brussels since August 2018. The Brussels office’s role is to increase the profile of the universities at EU level, to improve the monitoring and influencing of EU policy programmes and to support the building of closer international partnerships. An overall goal is to support an increased participation in the EU Framework Programme.
The Brussels office is a complement to the services provided by the research support offices at home at the universities. In Brussels the focus is on the things that are best done from Brussels.
The Brussels office assists with:
- Monitoring EU research and innovation policy and programmes, in particular the EU framework programme Horizon 2020 and the upcoming Horizon Europe 2021-2027, as well as policy areas relevant to our research
- Targeted operational support on EU programme calls, such as background research and partnership search
- Identification of profiling opportunities for the universities and researchers
- Support with visiting programmes to Brussels in order to build capacity at home
- Support to management through horizon scanning
- Maintaining and building networks in Brussels, and support with participation
- Access to meeting rooms for up to 50 people, for researchers’ project meetings or policy events, as well as logistical support with event organisation
- Access to work space during visits to Brussels
Regarding networks, Lärosäten Syd is engaged in two Brussels networks to increase our profile and facilitate European partnerships: the European Regions Research and Innovation Network (ERRIN) and the Universities Informal Liaison Offices Network (UnILiON). Individual universities are also members of the European University Association, LERU, CESAER, SGroup, Euroleague for Life Sciences among others.
Our office is situated in Nordic House, on the same floor as the regional representations of Skåne European Office and Småland Blekinge Halland South Sweden. Link to map with directions and hotel recommendations.
The Brussels representative is Rickard Eksten. Rickard has more than ten years’ experience from Brussels, from having worked with universities and innovation and environment/climate issues in an EU context.
Rickard Eksten, Brussels representative & Senior EU Policy Officer
Phone: +32 (0) 470 57 39 12
Axel Hanö, Intern, spring 2020
Louise Årebäck, Intern, spring 2020
Address: Lärosäten Syd, c/o Skåne European Office, Nordic House, Rue du Luxembourg 3, 1000 Bruxelles