This is how Universities in South Sweden and our African partners want to contribute
4 February 2022 | 13:00-15:30 | Event held digitally
In the European Commission’s policy communication towards a comprehensive strategy with Africa, it proposes that the EU partners with Africa to rapidly enhance learning, knowledge and skills, research and innovation capacities, and that it scales up EU-Africa academic and scientific cooperation with a view to creating a knowledge society and economy.
The role of universities and the capacities for African and European researchers to cooperate will be vital to deliver on this challenge. The universities that make up the network of Universities in South Sweden all have long-standing collaborations with African partners and a clear and strategic ambition to deepen these ties.
This event will present some examples of our current work and it will create a space for discussion on what are the shared needs and ambitions of European and African universities.
The event will also hear the thoughts of the European Commission on the future of EU-Africa cooperation through instruments such as Horizon Europe, in the wake of the EU-AU summit that will set out the joint strategy for the years ahead.
We hope you will be able to join us on this occasion, as we are keen to reach out to potential future partners for collaboration, both across Europe and Africa.
- Fadila Boughanemi, Deputy Head of Unit DG Research & Innovation, European Commission
- Professor Ernest Aryeteey, Secretary General, ARUA (African Research Universities Alliance)
- Professor Adipala Ekwamu, Executive Secretary, Regional Universities Forum for Capacity Building in Agriculture (RUFORUM)
- Cecilia Christersson, Vice-Rector for Global Engagement and Challenge Based Learning, Malmö University & Board member SANORD Southern African-Nordic Centre
- Abdellah Abarkan, Professor, Department of Spatial Planning, Blekinge Institute of Technology (BTH)
- Martin Melin, Researcher, Department of People and Society, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU)
- Per Björkman, Professor, Department of Translational Medicine, Lund University
- Jonas Ewald, Senior Lecturer, Department of Social Studies, Linnæus University
Download materials from the event
- Event agenda (PDF)
- Presentation about the NextFood project, Martin Melin, SLU (PDF)
- Presentation about the SESA project, Abdullah Abarkan, BTH (PDF)
- Presentation about Horizon Europe and the Africa initiative, Fadila Boughanemi, European Commission (PDF)
- Watch the recording of the event (MP4)